Many of my clients who are interested in buying a home in Lake Tahoe don’t realize there are two states as well as North Shore and South Shore options to choose from. They just want to buy their vacation home in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Part of my job is to give consultation to home buyers on where is the best part of the lake that will meet or exceed their needs. And one of the most common questions that come up is which state; Nevada or California should they purchase a home in.
Where should you buy a home in Lake Tahoe, Nevada or California?
Advantages of buying a home in Nevada:
- Considerably lower property taxes
- No state income tax if Nevada is your primary residence (live there at least 6 months of the year)
Disadvantages of buying a home in Nevada:
- Higher priced homes
- Hilly terrain – More lakeview homes but those with the great views are normally perched on top of steep terrain
Advantages of buying a home in California:
- More homes for sale to choose from
- Much more level terrain
- Lower prices
Disadvantages of buying a home in California:
- Higher property taxes than Nevada
- Fewer chances for homes with a lakeview
- State income tax if this is the state you live in
Homes for Sale in South Lake Tahoe on Both Sides of the Lake:
What features in a home are you looking for?
I ask my clients this all the time, “To you, what are the important features of a home?” This way I can create a list of what they want in the state that best fits their criteria. Is a lake view important? Is being near the beach or a ski resort important? Do they want quiet and away from it all? Do they want to hop in their boat in their back yard and be on the lake in minutes? The same things aren’t important to everyone, this is why it is best to narrow down each person’s priorities and preferences. Getting this list created will help me help home buyers decide which side of the lake is best for them.
How To Find Your Home in Lake Tahoe
- Sign up for email notification so you’ll know the minute a home is listed.
- Call me directly at 530-541-2465 or stop by my office and we’ll sit down and explore all options.
- Get my newsletter every other month which gives you an insight into Lake Tahoe real estate.
- Search all homes for sale around the lake. My website makes it easy to search for homes that match your criteria.
- Get valuable and current information when you sign up to receive Lake Tahoe real estate articles sent to your inbox.