Vacation Home Rental Inspector’s Checklist-
1. Signage (Vacation Rental Company Provides)
- Exterior VHR sign: Posted on the outside of the dwelling, visible from the street, legible and not to exceed 12 inchesby 12 inches. Must include: maximum number of occupants, maximum number of vehicles, police department VHRhotline phone number and email (530-542- 6100; email@example.com, and owner, agent, or local professionalmanagement’s phone number (must be located within 30 miles of VHR). Sign must be weather resistant metal orplastic- no laminated signs.
- Interior VHR sign: placed on the inside by the front door. Must include: maximum number of occupants, maximumnumber of vehicles, owner, agent, or local professional manager’s phone number (must be located within 30 miles ofVHR), parking rules for seasonal snow removal, trash pickup day and refuse to not be placed outside before 6 pmprior to the pickup day, and notification that occupant can be fined for disturbance or violations of the VHR ordinance.
2. Hot Tubs / Pools
- Required: located 5 feet from property line, lockable cover, emergency shut off switch in sight, tempered windowswithin 5 feet of water, and signage. Sign must be weather resistant metal or plastic- no laminated signs.Example of Hot tub Signage – (Must be noted NO hot tub usage between 10pm to 7am.
3. Emergency Exit Map
- Include basic floorplan of residence with one posted on the back of each bedroom door with the exit path out ofhome clearly marked.
4. Emergency Exit Lighting
- Emergency lighting installed to light a path to the exterior from the interior of the building. Options include apermanently installed system and/or a plug in system of lights that turn on in the event of a power outage.Any rechargeable flashlight with a night light option that is automatically operated.
5. Fire Extinguisher
- At least one fire extinguisher per floor, mounted in a visible, accessible location. Minimum size of three pounds eachwith a type ABC Fire Extinguisher. When the extinguisher is in a cabinet or closet, the door cover must be clearlylabeled.
6. Smoke Detector(s)
- At least (1) smoke detector must be installed in hallways leading to bedrooms and in each bedroom and a minimumof (1) smoke detector per floor. In a studio or efficiency dwelling units the smoke detector should be installed in acentral location. Smoke detectors must be installed on the ceiling or on the wall within 12 inches of the ceiling.CalFire smoke detector information.
7. Carbon Monoxide Detector(s)
- One detector must be installed on each floor. Unlike smoke detectors there is no height requirement for installation;however most manufacturers recommend installation in the hallway serving bedrooms or other central location.When a bedroom contains a gas appliance, such as a decorative gas appliance, a CO alarm shall be required.CalFire CO detector information.
8. Street Address
- Clearly visible from the street. Minimum of 4 inch numbers with a contrasting color.
- Natural ventilation via openable window(s) or doors to the exterior shall provide a minimum 4% opening of the roomsize.
10. Escape & Rescue Openings
- Sleeping areas shall have an emergency egress window that complies with the code year the house was built.
11. Room Dimensions
- Must be a minimum of 7 feet in all directions (length or width) and no less than 70 square feet overallCompliance with Codes in Effect at the Time of Construction.
12. Natural Lighting
- Provided via windows, glass doors or skylights that is a minimum 8 % of the room size.
- Path from individual dwelling units to public ways must be maintained free and clear of obstructions at all times.
14. Defensible Space
- Parcel shall comply with CA State mandate 4291. Zone 1: 5’ zone around the house without any combustiblevegetation. Zone 2: 5’ to 30’, Lean, Clean and Green. Tree spacing, limbs trimmed and clean ground cover. Zone 3,30’-100’ Pine needles maximum 3 inches thick, ground vegetation spaced, trees spaced. This is a brief descriptionof the requirements.
15. Wood Burning Stove Flue / Chimney
- Provide a certificate or receipt that shows the flue has been cleaned in the last year. Spark arrestor shall be in place.This shall be a screen with opening no less than 3/8 inch and no greater than ½ inch.16. Electrical – Sauna Room must be cleared of furniture and extension cord and check if operationalNo permanent use of extension cords for appliances, heaters, lamps or other fixtures.
17. Stairs, Guardrails & Handrails
- Any stairs with 4 steps needs a hand rail. Any new hand rails must have a curved wall return.
- Any stair rails or railing with baluster must have a 4” or smaller gap/spacing nothing bigger unless the baluster was built when the house was built. Any new railing installed after April 1997 will need the requirement above.
18. Electrical Panels
- Good general condition, must maintain front and side clearances, no exposed or frayed wires, proper bonding and
- grounding. All electrical circuits must be clearly labeled to indicate area or device served.
- Check in locked closet for electrical panel and all panels must be labelled.
- D/S coat closet and D/S bedroom exposed electrical wiring needs electrical plate cover.
- Kitchen countertops, bathrooms, garage and outdoor receptacles equipped with Ground Fault Circuit Interruption.
- Outdoor electrical plug check double check if grounded and GFCI protected.
- Do a test in all bathrooms and kitchen plugs must have GFI or grounded to a GFI circuit. This includes the plug under the kitchen sink for the dishwasher and garbage disposal.
20. Deck(s), Gazebo(s), Patio(s) & Balcony(s)
- Where present, general safe condition, sturdy guardrails where required, surfaces to be firm, no dry rot, no holes or breaks and stoops and steps from deck comply with applicable code.
- Decks/Patios 30” from ground needs rails around the deck for safety hazard.
21. Water Heater(s)
- Properly installed, seismic straps, PTR run properly, gas lines safe, flue vent, water connections and combustion air per applicable codes.
- If water heater is in the garage ok to sit on a cement slab as long as it has a drain pan underneath.
- Where present, verify required parking is provided and available for renter use., Also, inspect garage man door toensure fire resistant, tight fitting and self-closing.
- Property must possess a paved driveway in accordance with TRPA regulations and City Land Use DevelopmentStandard 6.10.320. If your property does not have a paved driveway, you will have to apply for a permit and pave.Apply at the City Permit Center at 1052 Tata Ln.
- Paved parking is required. 1-2 bedrooms requires 2 parking spaces, 3-4 bedrooms requires 3 parking spaces, etc.The formula is: 1 space per unit plus .5 space for each bedroom. Off-parcel parking cannot be included in spacecount.
- Additional parking for homes with five bedrooms or more to accommodate number of occupancy – proposal was4 person per vehicle
(From our City Inspection Coordinator as conveyed by Bill Potts on new or existing VHR renewal inspection.
Driveways can be placed as long as it does not exceed 400sf without getting a site assessment).
Other items to be address –
– All locked closet keys must be available for the City inspector
– Remove gas cans on the balcony
– Verify electrical panel location for the interior and must be labelled.