When buying a home in Lake Tahoe, you need to know that there is a high probability of not getting traditional house insurance. Companies insuring homes in the area look at the FireLine score to determine if a home can be insured or not. Well what is a FireLine score? We’re glad you asked.
The ISO (Insurance Services Office) looks at three things at a property in order to determine a FireLine score:
- Is fuel or brush within 1/4 mile of a home?
- What is the ability to access the property?
- What is the slope the home is built on?
Scores are given to each category and a property ends up with a score between 0 – 30. The higher the score, the higher probability a home has for being lost in a wildfire. Lake Tahoe is considered a high fire risk area so these scores are used when issuing insurance policies.
We’ve seen an insurance company start to turn down clients that have scores above a 3!
If you have a higher FireLine score you’ll still be able to find insurance, it just may not be through the traditional companies and it will cost you more money.
Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place to own a home. There will always be a fire risk though, because of the forests surrounding the community. It’s part of life in the mountains. If you have any questions about where to buy a home in Lake Tahoe, contact us!
Keep up to date on Tahoe Real Estate
- Sign up for an email notification so you’ll know the minute Tahoe properties are listed.
- Call us directly at 530-541-2465 and we’ll go over all your options.
- Search all homes for sale around the lake. Our website makes it easy to search for homes that match your criteria.
- Get a FREE custom market evaluation for your home.