On 2/19/2021 the Douglas County, NV County Commissioners voted to halt all VHR permits in the Tahoe Township (area of county located in Tahoe). This halt is set to last until a future meeting, potentially being lifted on March 3rd.
The county commissioners have been discussing making changes to the current VHR ordinances. Part of the recommendations by the county manager and a VHR task force included a cap of 725 VHR permits in Tahoe, which would account for about 13% of home stock. As of March 2020, there were 533 active permits.
They are also looking at creating buffer zones to prevent VHRs from being clustered together. Also making VHRs illegal in HOAs and GIDs that don’t allow for commercial use in their bylaws.
Staff at the county will present updated ordinances at a future meeting. Once new ordinances are put in place the halt will be removed.
Contact Our Team for up-to-date info.
The Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe is located in Douglas County. A VHR permit is required for all VHRs in Douglas County. The County allows online registration for a VHR permit through Host Compliance. Similar to every other area around the Lake, the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) must be submitted to the County on a regular basis.
A VHR permit application must be filled out and submitted to the County, in addition to the permit fees as follows:
- Application Fee: $416
- Inspection Fee: $150
- Credit Card Processor Fee: $12.73 / ACH Processor Fee: $3.35
- Total: Credit Card Payment $626.73 / Bank Account Payment (ACH) $569.35
VHR permits are renewed on an annual basis by filling out a renewal application and paying the renewal fee and any taxes. Permits will be renewed if the following are true:
- The online renewal application is complete and the applicant has compiled with the submittal requirements.
- There have not been two or more upheld citations issued for violations of the County Code at the VHR property within a 24 month period.
- The VHR permit has not lapsed, expired, been revoked, or suspended.
- The VHR is current on TOT and has paid all said taxes in full to the County.
- Application Fee: $260
- Inspection Fee: $150
- Credit Card Fee: $8.07 / Bank Account (ACH) Fee: $2.10
- Total: Credit Card $418.07 / Bank Account (ACH) $412.10